The road is harsher for motorcyclists than for other drivers. The same is true for motorcycle injury claims after an accident. You have the same rights as anybody else, but you face more complications. For this Motorcycle Safety Month, Sam & Ash, LLP want to help level the field for riders by preventing accidents and make recovering compensation easier.
Motorcycle Safety Is Your First Bet
Motorcycles don’t provide the same protection as passenger vehicles and they are less visible to others on the road. The Governors Highway Safety Association recently reported that fatal accidents are 28 times more likely for motorcycles than they are for passenger vehicles. 78% of crashes result in injuries and almost 1 out of 20 crashes are fatal.
While the risk is high, safe riding is still your right. Riding a motorcycle is fun and legal. But every rider understands the need to take precautions. These include:
- Wearing and upgrading your protective gear. Wearing a helmet is the law in Nevada and reduces head injuries in accidents by 69%.
- Riding defensively. Stay with the flow of traffic, leave room between you and other vehicles, affix reflective materials to your bike, and use your headlights at all times.
- Continuing to train as a rider. Good judgment improves with practice on the road.
Accidents are not guaranteed. Riders who value freedom can do What’s Right to avoid being laid up. Safety should be your first bet.
What to Do After an Accident
You can count on yourself, but not necessarily on other drivers. Protecting yourself is also important when you do find yourself in an accident due to another’s carelessness.
- Protect your wellbeing. Check for injuries and call 911. As a biker you are more likely to sustain serious injuries than as a passenger in a car. You should receive immediate medical attention.
- Protect your evidence. Take photographs of your injuries, property damage, and of the scene. It’s critical evidence for your case.
- Protect your right to compensation. Get contact and insurance information from the other driver.
Get a Lawyer You Can Trust Against the Insurance Company
Then you lawyer up. Apart from dangers on the road, motorcycle riders are at greater risk from what happens after an accident. Insurance companies are quick to put the blame on you for an accident that wasn’t your fault, because they think it’s easy to paint bikers as reckless. For the insurance company, motorcycle claims are a slam dunk to reject.
Motorcycle riders appreciate professionals who get the job done right. The motorcycle accident lawyers at Sam & Ash, LLP don’t compromise on what you deserve. Choose our team to have your back and call us at 1 (800) 304-2000. Our line is always open.