What Car Insurance Do I Need?

Most drivers only know about the liability car insurance they are required to carry. They also believe their full coverage policy gives everything they need. However, liability and full coverage may not help you as much as you think. Because there are many situations that require compensation, insurance companies provide different policies. Here’s what you need to know if you’re asking yourself: what car insurance do I need?

What is Nevada’s Minimum Liability Limits?

Liability insurance protects you in the event of a car accident by compensating the other driver if you were at fault. It’s not just a good idea, it’s a legal obligation. Nevada requires you to carry a liability car insurance policy that carries a minimum coverage of, per accident:

  • $25,000 for bodily injury or death of one person,
  • $50,000 for bodily injury or death of two or more persons, and
  • $20,000 for injury to or destruction of property of others.

Insurance Coverage For Your Injuries

Liability car insurance is not your only form of protection. You may want to ensure reimbursement for your own injuries as well.

  • Uninsured and underinsured motorist insurance (UM/UIM) makes up your losses if the at-fault driver isn’t insured or doesn’t have enough insurance. UM/UIM coverage offers smart protection. The at-fault driver realistically doesn’t have other available sources for compensation.
  • Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and Medical Payments Coverage reimburses health care expenses to treat your injuries and those of your passengers, even when you were at fault. Additionally, PIP compensates lost income, childcare, and funeral expenses related to the accident.

Insurance Coverage For Property Damage

Coverage for your own car damage is also available.

  • Collision insurance covers repairs or replacements to your car after an accident with another vehicle.
  • Comprehensive insurance helps cover incidents besides car accidents, like vandalism, damage from weather, and accidents with animals.
  • You should note that Full Coverage typically includes collision and comprehensive insurance, but not necessarily other coverage. Therefore, your “full” coverage policy may not provide compensation for your own injuries as UM/UIM, PIP, and Medical Payments Coverage provide.

Most drivers may not know they are not fully protected until it’s too late. You may already pay for liability insurance, but you deserve complete coverage. If you’ve been in a car accident, we at Sam & Ash Injury Law will use all resources to ensure you get the care you are entitled to. For a free consultation, call us any time at 1 (800) 304-2000.

Author: Sam Mirejovsky

For more than 20 years, Sam Mirejovsky has been helping people who have been hurt due to negligence and wrongdoing. Bringing a client-centered approach to every case, Sam believes that getting the care you need and the justice you deserve is only achieved when you take the time to understand your client and their personal circumstances. This mindset has helped him change the landscape of personal injury law and recover millions of dollars for injured people and their families.