Reckless driving is more than making a careless mistake. Under Nevada law, reckless driving is a willful or wanton disregard for the safety of people or property. It is deliberately driving in a manner that exposes others to the risk of harm. When reckless driving leads to a car accident, the reckless driver may be held accountable for the harm the driver has needlessly inflicted upon others.
While criminal courts may hold a reckless driver accountable for breaking the law, the reckless driving accident lawyers of Sam & Ash Injury Law can help you pursue compensation for your medical bills and losses if you have been injured in a car crash caused by a reckless driver.
Be wary of insurance adjusters who respond to your car accident claim. Their job is to protect their employer’s bottom line by limiting or denying compensation to you. Call the Las Vegas reckless driving accident lawyers at Sam & Ash Injury Law to discuss your options to seek full compensation for your losses. We can begin work on your case immediately and will demand What’s Right for you.
Did Reckless Driving Cause Your Car Accident Injuries?
Nevada law (NRS 484B.653) defines several specific acts as reckless driving, including:
- Speeding, including driving:
- Faster than the posted speed limit
- Faster than what is reasonable for traffic conditions, the weather and other highway conditions
- At a speed that endangers people or property
- In excess of 80 mph
- Speeding in a school zone during school hours or within 30 minutes before or after school hours
- Failing to stop for police
- Failing to stop for a school crossing guard
- Endangering or hitting a pedestrian
- Passing a car stopped at a crosswalk
- Improperly passing, failing to yield to or causing a collision with a bicycle or electric scooter
- Unauthorized racing
- Unauthorized trick driving display (using a vehicle to perform tricks, stunts or other maneuvers on a public highway)
If any of these acts of reckless driving led to an accident in which you were injured, you may be eligible to demand compensation from the reckless driver for your injuries and other losses.
How Much Is My Case Worth?
Excessive speed, which is often a factor in reckless driving accidents, greatly increases the force of impact in an accident and the resulting injuries. Pedestrians are unprotected in collisions with motor vehicles and are often seriously injured when hit by cars, trucks, or motorcycles.
The blunt-force trauma of a reckless driving accident can cause such injuries as:
- Head and traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Back and neck injuries
- Facial injuries
- Traumatic amputations
- Internal organ damage
- Broken bones
- Sprains and strains
- Lacerations and bruising
Individuals injured in reckless driving car crashes can face sky-high medical bills, extended time out of work, and other expenses that can lead to lasting financial harm.
The only way to develop an accurate estimate of what you may be owed after a reckless driving accident is to complete your recovery and then calculate what your injuries have cost you.
Our attorneys may be able to help you seek compensation for:
- Medical care. This includes bills for emergency care, diagnostic imaging tests, surgery, medication, hospitalization, specialist consultations, rehabilitation, medical equipment, and other costs related to your injuries.
- Future medical needs. You may require ongoing medical care for some serious injuries. In cases of permanent disability, such as paralysis, we work with life care planning consultants to project future needs and costs.
- Lost wages. You may seek compensation to replace income lost while you could not work and/or diminished earnings in the future if your injuries force you to take a lower-paying job or make returning to work impossible.
- Property damage. This is typically the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle but may include other valuables damaged or lost in an accident.
- Pain and suffering. The non-economic damages available after an unjust injury in Nevada include compensation for physical pain as well as for disfigurement, physical impairment, inconvenience, and general loss of enjoyment of life.
- Emotional distress. Compensation may be available for psychological pain, such as depression, insomnia, anxiety, or other issues. If you require counseling to deal with the aftermath of the accident, you should be compensated for those medical costs, as well.
Nothing can change the outcome of a motor vehicle accident. But people who have been injured should not suffer lasting financial harm due to someone else’s reckless behavior. At Sam & Ash Injury Law, we’ll work to help you pursue full compensation for losses caused by a reckless driver.
What Should I Do If I Was Hit by a Reckless Driver?
In the days and weeks after being injured in a reckless driving accident, follow these steps to help protect a potential accident claim:
- Save any evidence you have about the crash and how you were harmed. Any information that helps explain the accident and your losses could prove to be vital to an accident claim. Hold onto photos of the accident or your injuries, names of passengers in your car or other witnesses, receipts from medical care, and communication with your employer.
- Keep a journal detailing your injuries and your recovery. As soon as you can, write in your own words how the accident occurred and what happened to you. As your medical care progresses, write about gains and setbacks. Make note of how your life has been affected, such as special occasions or activities you are unable to take part in or that are different because of your injuries.
- Stay off social media. If you pursue a reckless driving accident claim, opposing lawyers will be looking for evidence that you have not been injured as badly as you claim. Social media posts can be used against you.
- Contact a reckless driving accident lawyer in Las Vegas. Sam & Ash Injury Law can help you pursue a claim against the reckless driver in Nevada who injured you. We understand the law and know how to fight to recover all of the compensation you deserve.
How a Reckless Driving Car Accident Attorney Can Help You
If you have been injured in a reckless driving accident, Sam & Ash Injury Law can pursue compensation on your behalf while you focus on recovering from your injuries.
Our lawyers are ready to:
- Explain all your legal options and answer your questions
- Manage all the paperwork, legal forms, and communication that a reckless driving accident claim requires
- Gather evidence that explains how the accident happened, who is responsible, and how your injuries are affecting you
- Calculate the full extent of your compensable costs and losses and submit a demand for compensation to the responsible insurance company
- Negotiate with insurers for the full compensation
- Move forward with a reckless driving accident lawsuit if the insurance company representing the reckless driver refuses to provide a fair settlement
When you have been injured in a car accident, do not wait to contact a Las Vegas reckless driving accident attorney about your case. The sooner you speak to a lawyer, the better.
Time Limit for Filing a Reckless Driving Accident Lawsuit in Nevada
Generally, Nevada’s statute of limitations allows two years from the accident’s date to file a lawsuit in a reckless driving accident case. If someone dies from the injuries suffered in a reckless driving accident, the two-year period typically starts at the date of death.
You do not want to wait too long to engage an attorney to begin work on a claim.
Filing an insurance claim requires many time-consuming steps, such as:
- gathering the evidence needed to prove fault
- identifying the insurance coverage available to provide compensation
- negotiating with the insurance company if the claim is disputed
- filing a lawsuit if the insurer will not offer a fair settlement
At each step, an insurer working can drag their feet to delay proceedings.
If you have questions about the amount of time you have to bring a reckless driving accident lawsuit, a lawyer from Sam & Ash Injury Law can answer them. We can review your reckless driving accident case and get your claim started to make sure you do not miss any important deadlines. Call our 24-hour free consultation line to discuss your accident and legal options.
Do I Need a Car Accident Lawyer in Las Vegas, NV?
If you’ve been injured in a reckless driving accident, call Sam & Ash Injury Law today. Our car accident attorneys in Las Vegas are available any time to answer your questions and provide a free review of your accident and your legal options. You never pay anything out-of-pocket when you work with us. You’ll owe no fees unless we win compensation for you.
At Sam & Ash Injury Law, we’re committed to helping clients recover physically and financially after a reckless driving accident. We understand what you are going through and the effect serious injuries have on your life. We will provide personalized legal service based on your specific needs. We will listen to you, explain what compensation may be available to you, and fight for What’s Right for you. Call us today or contact us online to get started with a free initial legal consultation.