As a guest of a restaurant, you deserve to be safe and treated well. However, conditions at restaurants pose a common danger: slip & fall accidents. A slip & fall at a restaurant is not an embarrassing moment — it’s a breach of responsibility that can cause serious injury.
Slip & Fall Injuries
Slip & fall accidents can injure you in several ways. Some injuries do not cause immediate pain.
Common injuries experienced by victims include:
What Typically Causes a Slip & Fall at a Restaurant?
Generally, a lot of slip & falls are the result of a buildup of some liquid that was left unattended on the floor. Your footwear will slide instead of gripping the floor when it’s dry. Restaurants utilize many different liquids and are busy places where staff and management become easily distracted.
Accidents are commonly caused by:
- A guest who spilled a drink under the table that spread to the rest of the floor
- Water leaking from bad plumbing near the kitchen or bathrooms
- Grease or oil that is tracked from the kitchen floor into the dining hall by wait staff
- A poorly mopped floor that was cleaned with slick solutions or a dirty mop
What Should You Do After a Slip & Fall?
Document the accident and get immediate medical treatment. Do not quickly leave or accept a comp for your meal or gift card for a future visit. You deserve what’s right.
Do the following if you are able:
- Request to complete an accident report. An accident report may help establish whether the restaurant knew or should have known about the dangerous condition that caused your injury.
- Photograph the scene of the accident. Photographs of the liquid and the scene will establish the cause of your injury.
- Collect witness information. Other people can back up your account of the accident and your injuries from it.
- Then get immediate medical attention. It is very important that you treat as soon as possible to show that you were in fact injured from that specific accident.
Talk to Sam & Ash, LLP
Even if the restaurant staff are helpful and nice to you after the accident, you shouldn’t count on similar hospitality from the restaurant’s insurance company. Insurance companies resist even the most documented and deserving claims. Even if you have done everything right, you could use the resources and skills of a personal injury lawyer who will constantly advocate for you. Sam & Ash, LLP are your personal injury lawyers who do What’s Right for you. After your accident call us for a free consultation at 1 (800) 304-2000.